The Clock Stops Here...

Monday, January 9, 2017

DivaDebbi's 2017 Golden Globe's Report Card


Ok Lovelies, let's get started, shall we???

Well, I'm one for two...Jimmy Fallon was not as I predicted, a natural. He is so likable and I don't think I was the only one really rooting for his success, but his performance as host, save for the opening La La Land tribute, fell short.

Ms. Streep,  who was both nominated for her performance in Florence Foster Jenkins and the recipient of the Cecile B. DeMille  Lifetime Achievement Award, was however, horribly attired and coiffed.  Bam.  No matter what your politics, I found her acceptance speech, deriding President Elect Trump, to be completely out of place and found it uncomfortable to watch.

Moving on to fashion.  I loved that the stars really pulled out the stops for the GG's, traditionally a bit lower key than the  Oscar's.  I'm drooling in anticipation of what's in store for us on February 26th.

Trends included:
Canary yellow, which in my estimation is the  single hardest shade for a woman to pull off successfully, but was managed well by Viola Davis and Natalie Portman,

Pink- divine on Lily Collins, and Zoe Saldana, cloying and overly sweet on Felicity Jones and Carrie Underwood.

Metallics- lovely on Emma Stone, Naomi Harris, Priyanka Chopra and Ruth Negga, (though I have no clue who she is.)

Deep plunging necklines, impeccably worn on Kristen Bell, Emma Stone (always trend savvy and nailing two of the big ones),  and Mandy Moore, who stunned in a navy Naeem Khaan.

Black and White- horrible on Naomi Campbell, Sophie Turner, Jessica Biel and Heidi Klum. 

White- Drew Barrymore, Tracee Ellis Ross, Thandie Newton and Sarah Jessica Parker in Vera Wang. (Just. Say. No.)

Interestingly, some of my A List designers, also ended up on the F List;
Zuhair Murad, Gucci and Louis Vuitton.   Go figure!!!

The A+ Team
Kristen Bell in Jenny Packham
Spectacular!!!



Emma Stone in Valentino
Perfect on every level, hair makeup accessories dress.
Oh! And congrats!  Isn't she adorable???

Naomi Harris in Armani Prive
Stunning.

Mandy Moore in Naeem Khan
(well done, again. She made my last A List too)

Viola Davis in Michael Kors
(I thought she was introducing Mother Theresa
when she was presenting the Cecille B. DeMille award)

Elsa Pataky Zuhair Murad
Dee-Vine!!!

Lily Collins in Zuhair Murad
Regal.

Zoe Saldana in Gucci
Fresh and pretty!

Ruth Negga in Louis Vuitton
Priyanka Chopra in Ralph Lauren
(This chick understands the Red Carpet)

Brie Larsen in Rodarte

Natalie Portman pregnant and resplendent in Prada

Who fell flat for me?
Some of you may have swooned for Drew Barrymore's Monique L'Hullier, just not my kind of frock. I was also underwhelmed by Nicole Kidman  in McQueen, Amy Adams in a too severe black Tom FordBlake Lively, Julia Louis Dreyfuss, Jessica Chastain, Michelle Williams, (whose stewardship as a Red Carpet darling is a mystery to me), Sienna Miller, Felicity Huffman, Sophia Vergara (finally in something A-Line, but sadly awful). and Reese Witherspoon, whose Atelier Versace was pretty, prommie and underwhelming.

And of course, the good stuff:

The "F" List:

Anna Chlumsky
Ho Ho Ho. Green Giant.

Bad. Bad and Worse:


Naomi Campbell in Atelier Versace


Jessica Biel in Elie Saab
Sophie Turner in a Vuitton trainwreck.


Felicity Jones who lost her sheep, in Gucci

Chrissy Weitz

Sometimes a picture is worth 1000 words

Anna Kendrick in an odd, sling like Vionnet
A rare miss for the lovely Anna. 


Seriously???
And camel toe???



Tracee Ellis Ross in Zuhair Murad
Too much junk in that trunk.
 Just not flattering.



Kerry Washington in Dolce & Gabbana
Kerry is another perrenial on my F List.  
I dislike every single element of this dress.
Why oh why, is she always on the "best dressed" lists??? 

Sarah Jessica Parker in Vera Wang
Where do I begin Princess Leia??? Maybe in Oz with Glinda...


Meryl Streep. 
Designer Unknown. Thankfully.


Would she not have looked better in either of the lovely Neil Bieff gowns below, or the pretty Burgundy and silk Pamella Roland with tiny black, tulle net sleeves???




Available at Mary Jane Denzer, White Plains NY
914-328-0331


So Lovelies, who did you Love and who did you Loathe??? Who did I miss???  I hope you enjoyed. Please share. And remember, if you always want to look your best for your own Red Carpet moments, do call us at Mary Jane Denzer. Promise, promise, with every fiber of my being, you will never end up on anyone's F List. There are far too many beautiful, well fitting options, to ever look anything less than splendid!!!

xox,
DD




4 comments:

  1. Nicole Kidman. I thought I would definitely see her on your A+++++ list.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nope! Wanted to love it. Too me it felt overwrought...

    xox,
    DD

    ReplyDelete
  3. Why? Because you prefer boring, safe options that are visually pretty. Some people dress for the brain.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Xtine,
    Yes, I do prefer visually pretty and I don't think any one sited is brainless, do you?

    Best,
    DD

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...