The Clock Stops Here...

Monday, September 21, 2015

DivaDebbi's 2015 Emmy's Report Card

Well, as always, it was a long night. I've never been enamored with host Andy Samberg and found his mostly juvenile humor, on par with that other one time Emmy wonder Seth McFarland.  The combination of network, cable and live streaming shows makes it all feel like a jumble with variety and news shows somehow garnering too much attention and dozens of feet on stage accepting awards.

I sooo loved that Jon Hamm slithered up to the stage on his belly. YES, in Mad Men's last season, they finally threw Hamm the Best Actor bone he has long deserved.  I swear, had he not won, I would have stayed in bed all day with the covers over my head in protest. I am bitterly disappointed that Elizabeth Moss did not win in the Best Actress Category.  I'm sure Viola Davis, who is an incredible talent, does a fine job on How To Get Away With Murder, but I have invested all of 20 minutes into watching this overwrought Shondra Rhimes drama, vs. 8 seasons with the magnificent Moss and I think she was utterly deserving.

Oh Well.

But let's face it...we are in for the clothes and if your reading this, you like my award show postmortems, so let's get to it, shall we?

Trends soon become apparent on the Red Carpet and last night we saw no shortage of every color in the rainbow, some to great effect others, not so much. Personally, I prefered the deeper hued, more fall like dresses.  So what if it was 106 degrees. Cut outs, Asymetric necklines and chains also made an appearance.

Overall, I was underwhelmed, to say the least. For me there were only 5 A list standouts.  Much was made of Kerry Washington's ripped from Marc Jacobs runway chain mail dress.  It was sexy, but somehow didn't feel like an Emmy dress to me, and it's going to take me a bit to warm up to those 80's shoulders.  Still and all, she made the grade with my gratitude, for finally giving up on wearing Prada or Miu Miu, several of which have landed her on the Worst Dressed lists from seasons past and getting her Red Carpet mojo back. Thank you Lord.

The good was good and the bad was atrocious...Let's roll:

The A Team:

Ellie Kemper, sunny and charming in Naeem Khan

Lena Headey, breathtaking in Zuhair Murad

Jamie Alexander looking fierce and beautiful in Armani Prive

Sarah Hyland looking sleek and sophisticated in Zac Posen

Kerry Washington in Marc Jacobs though I still think it would
 have been more appropriate at a festive party, rather than the Emmy's

The B Team: 
Pretty but not extraordinary included: Julia Louis Dreyfuss, Emma Roberts, a much improved Sarah Paulson, the gorgeous, but oh so predictable Sophia Vergara, in yet another skin tight, strapless gown, Laverne Cox in Calvin Klein, Lady Gaga in a divine Brandon Maxwell, marred, IMO by that fact that she is a human ink blot. Taraji P. Henson in Alexander Wang. Tina Fey, looking sleek in Antonio Berardi and the always tasteful Christine Baranski.

The C Team:
Both Maggie Gyllenhaal and Elizabeth Moss chose Peter Copping for Oscar de La Renta. I thought they looked prom-y and deja vu.


I was also not on board with Elizabeth's platinum Adele Hair
Click here to see the Polyvore set I styled of Lizzie for the Emmy's. I vote for me. You?

The D Team:
Doesn't it just astound how many dresses miss the mark, despite having all the designer talent and top stylists vying to dress them?

Trainwrecks. Bed head had no place on the Red Carpet.
Besides Amy Poehler and Amy Schumer both looking wildly unkempt, let's add, Natasia Lyon and Taryn Manning to this list. I am very particular who I think looks well in strapless dresses.  For the most part, I think they look best on the Natalie Portman's and Cate Blanchett's of the world. This Zac Posen would never have been my choice for Amy Schumer, though the color is lovely on her.

The wtF Team:


How does this happen???


Tracie Ellis Ross in Zac Posen
Channeling Rachel's
 pink Bridesmaid dress on Friends


January Jones in Ulyana Sergeenko

January Jones in Ulyana Sergeenko

Dascha Polenko  in Leanne Marshall for Home Goods
Laura Prepon in Christian Siriano.
Ole!!!

Joanna Newsom in Delpozo
Romeo, Romeo, Where for art thou Romeo?  
Glee wants their scenery back for their next production

Padma Lakshmi. Pack your Knives and Go. 
Were there no mirrors? A beautiful woman looking very foolish in
a way too tight gown without, at the very least Spanx. Honestly,
I thought this was a baby bump. Gobsmacked.

Anna Chlumsky (whose name I can neither pronounce nor spell)
in Bibhu Mohapatru (whose name I can neither pronounce nor spell)
I'm not certain which is worse, the dress or the hair. I adore Bibhu and own

one of his beautiful dresses. A rare miss.  He fared much better with Jane Krakowski.

Christina  Hendricks in Naeem Khan as Sir Lancelot. 
I itch to style the lovely Christine.  She has NEVER, NOT ONCE, gotten
it right on the Red Carpet. A rare miss for Naeem as well.  Ellie Kemper 
redeemed him the beauty she is wearing at the top of the page.

Claire Danes in Prada with  silver chains and gold helmet hair
How much happier I would have been if Muccia
couldhave just called it quits, after the straps

A Dior tutu, with ill fitting black pants that jar the eye. A rare miss for the
lovely Kiernan Shipka. How much better this would have been if the tutu
came just a few inches above the knee sans pant.

Heidi Klum in Versace.
YOU'RE OUT!!!

If this doesn't look like a Project Runway disaster, I don't know what would or
could.  I don't have the adjectives to describe how much went wrong with one dress.
Heidi also appears under made up, too thin and  and odd shade of naugahyde.
So there you have it my Lovelies.  Do you agree? Disagree? Shall we agree to disagree?

Till next time...

xox,
DD

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...