The Clock Stops Here...

Saturday, November 16, 2013

The Jury is Still Out: Laura Mercier Smooth Finish Foundation Powder

Laura Mercier Smooth Finish Foundation Powder
$45
I'm still trying to get a handle on this product.  For starters, Laura Mercier Smooth Finish Foundation Powder has been reformulated.  It also offers a much wider range of shades than its first time out of the gate, with a nod to providing a product that can satisfy many skin tones and ethnicities.

There is a loyal coterie of fans of the original who are wildly cranky over the change. Based on the reviews on read, they tend to live in warmer climates and have oilier skin.  Apparently for many, it was a Holy Grail product and they cannot wrap their heads around why LM tinkered with perfection. I can empathize. I have had faves discontinued altogether. I'm not sure which is worse...

I do receive timely press updates from their PR firm Kaplow about all new launches and collections, with the opportunity to sample. Since I'm a great fan of the company, I appreciate it enormously.

I was aware of the launch of Smooth Finish Foundation Powder and recently read that it had been chosen as the foundation favorite in More Magazine. I hadn't had the occasion to try it, until I had an event after work and stopped into Sephora to perk up a bit.

I was very pressed for time and felt like I just needed a fresh canvas before I could reapply blush and touch up my concealer.  Normally, I am all about the glow, but because it was evening I was more concerned with flawless than dewy.

I was impressed with a quickly No. 11 smoothed out imperfections and provided light coverage with a nice finish. I made a note of the shade and requested a sample from my friends at Kaplow. It arrived and I popped it in my cosmetic bag unopened and packed it in my suitcase to take to London.

While at Selfridges, I uncharacteristically let several makeup artists have their way with me, (what's the diff??? I was on a different continent...) I did however, catch a glance of myself and wondered how I could be seen in daylight.  I plopped myself down at the Laura Mercier counter and the artist took mercy on me, promptly pulling out Smooth Finish Foundation Powder, in you guessed it, No. 11.

I cheerfully whipped it out of my bag and she was delighted with her her own intuition. In just a few swoops with brush and a clean sponge my overly highlighted, contoured and blushed face,  and I know longer looked like Joan Collins progeny.

Success, again.

So here's the rub--I can't quite get it to do anything on freshly washed and prepped skin.  It just doesn't look like there is any coverage.  It is formulated to be applied wet or dry and comes with a sponge that is smartly tucked below the foundation.  I tried it wet and still had the same experience.

Nothing. Nada. Zip.

I happily carry it with me, knowing if I need to smooth things out a bit mid day or day to eve, that it won't let me down. It's conveniently packaged and doesn't take up much room, even in an evening clutch...But would I repurchase it for just this purpose for $45?

Like I said, the jury is still out...

xox,
DD

1 comment:

  1. Thanks for the heads up and review of the Smooth Finish Foundation Powder! Looking forward to hear what the jury have to say...

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...