The Clock Stops Here...

Saturday, May 18, 2013

Chaos: Punk to Couture

Punk to Couture


Yesterday was a perfect NYC day. Sunny, blue skies and crisp.  I met my sister Loren at the Metropolitan Museum of Art where we enjoyed a lovely Birthday lunch at the Petrie Court Cafe and Wine Bar which overlooks Central Park and the Sculpture Garden that they bequeathed.

We wanted to see the new Costume Institute Exhibit Chaos: Punk to Couture.  I'm not sure anything can ever eclipse the blockbuster Alexander McQueen exhibit from 2011.  McQueen's genius was singular, but it was expertly curated for the viewer to understand the influence of early 80's punk.

There were some exquisitely executed designs represented by Mcqueen, Vivien Westwood, Maison Martin Margiela, Dolce & Gabanna and Prada. The days influence resonated with me in the Polyvore set I created above.

Even more interesting was the exceptional Impressionism Fashion and Modernity, which chronicles the influence of fashion on art in Paris during the period of 1860- 1880.



It closes on May 27th.  If you are in the NY area, I highly recommend seeing it before it leaves.  Glorious.

We walked back along 5th Avenue which has a lovely residential feeling between the Met and 59th St., with exquisitely manicured Co-ops on one side and Central Park on the other.

We said our goodbyes and as I headed towards Grand Central, I saw the incomparable Bill Cunningham on his bicycle stopped at a light on 42nd St.  He looked up and we exchanged smiles.  I perched my hands in prayer and nodded to a familiar stranger, whose videos of NY fashion I devour every Sunday in the NY Times.




Like I said, a perfect NYC day.  To my darling Sis, I love you madly and I wish you a Happy Birthday this and always.  We have long shared a vision of us in the future,  arm in arm, two old ladies perched on the Fifth Avenue bus.  We are not there yet, but the vision remains...of course there is always Paris...

xox,
DD

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...