The Clock Stops Here...

Saturday, October 27, 2012

Review: Laura Mercier Moisture Supreme Foundation

Laura Mercier Moisture Supreme Foundation
$43

You know when the seasons change and you look in the mirror and have
who you are???  All of sudden, every product you were using seems to be the wrong texture and color.  Your hair feels limp and misshapen and wouldn't be a good idea to do your base color darker next time???

Tell me I'm not alone???...

I can't ever remember being disappointed with a Laura Mercier purchase.  The quality is lovely, the palette is classic and though they are not inexpensive, they certainly last a long time.

One of the reasons I am such a devoted Sephora shopper, is that the knowledgeable staff are always cheery samplers.  Whenever possible, particularly with something like foundation, I much prefer to sample than buy and return.

Because my skin does have some olive tone to it, I do prefer a yellow based formula.  Of course, when I was younger, I tried to "correct" this by purchasing all the rosey beige tones--bad idea.

I asked to sample Laura Mercier's Golden Beige foundation and used it the next morning.  This is a medium to full coverage foundation, something I would normally never consider using.  I just wondered what my skin would look like if I took the coverage to the next level.  After all, I could always thin it with a damp sponge.  How did it look?


Completely flawless! Yes, it has more of a makeup feel in my hand, but when I blended it with a damp sponge, it looked fresh and dewy.  I wouldn't hesitate to go back and purchase it.

As I often do,  I went on the Laura Mercier website to check out the reader reviews.  I like reader reviews.  It takes time and effort to sit and write one and there is no incentive to write one, other than wanting to share your experience.  Mostly reviews come in two flavors; raves or rants.

I was quite surprised to read a slew of whines and rants.  Apparently, LM reformulated Moisture Supreme, and her legions of loyal fans, many having used it for 10 years were a wee cranky.

The "Vanilla Beige" Girls were particularly incensed. What had always been a perfect match for their complexions, now made them look like pumpkins.

They found it cakey and complained that it "separated" and settled into fine lines.
They were perplexed why Laura Mercier would tinker with perfection and implored her to bring back the original formula.

Really?  The new foundation that I liked so much was a dud?   Out of curiosity, I checked out Sephora's reviews for Moisture Supreme.  The result?  More of the same from the old school users but the new users, liked me, were mostly enamored.

Naturally, I'm curious about the old formulation...was I missing out a Holy Grail all these years?  I think so.

In the meanwhile, I still stand by my own experience.  I'm not sure I would use this every day--just those on those days I want to look flawless...

xox,
DD

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...