The Clock Stops Here...

Sunday, June 17, 2012

Back to Basics: Bobbi Brown Long-Wear Gel Eye Liner

Bobbi Brown Long-Wear Gel Eyeliner $22
Tapered brush $25

I have long been a fan of Award Winning Bobbi Brown Long-Wear Gel Eyeliner.  This was Bobbi's baby and though it's been oft imitated, the depth and consistency of it is unmatched.  Initially, it was sold in darker hues, traditional eyeliner shades.  I was surprised to see it now comes in 13 shades, including brights and shimmering mauve.

The latter would not be my passion.  When I line my eyes, I am looking for definition.  If I had a gun to my head and had to choose between mascara or liner, the liner would win.  Without it, I look exhausted.

Gel liner is not for novices, but once you get the hang of it, it's worth it.  Don't even think of attempting it without the specially designed ultra fine eyeliner brush. It's an investment I was cranky about making, but one that was well worth it and with a little TLC it can last for years.

In hindsight, I realized the reason I took a long break from using this excellent product was because I always purchased the black ink.  If I didn't apply it with the steady hand of a neurosurgeon, I risked looking like Mariska Hargitay...

Don't get me wrong--I think Mariska is a beauty, but top and bottom black liner past a certain age, can be a bit harsh...even for a Homicide Detective.

I decided to try it again, but this time I purchased Espresso Ink.


Bingo!


Espresso ink is deep enough to define the eye, but less stark in hue, so it doesn't require quite as much precision. The result is finished and refined...softer.

It was a good lesson for me.  Bobbi Brown Long-Wear Gel Eyeliner has been a product that has served me well in the past and now, will again, just by tweaking the shade.

The wheel doesn't always have to be reinvented--sometimes it just has to be rethought.

xox.
DD

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...